Thursday, September 26, 2019

Advice from an Alumnus: Meet Allyson Stromer!

SD Mines has a reputation for excellence that reverberates through our students long after they leave campus with their degrees in hand. Today, we are featuring on of our alumni, Allyson Stromer, who earned her degree in Interdisciplinary Science in 2005, then she went on to earn her B.S. in nursing and later her M.S. in nursing education from SDSU. She is currently working for SDSU's College of Nursing as a nursing instructor right here in Rapid City! We caught up with Allyson to ask her about her time at SD Mines and how it helped to prepare her for a career in healthcare.


Hey, Allyson! How did your time at SD Mines prepare you for a career in nursing education?
My time at SDSM&T was filled with everything I needed to be ready for nursing school, including several biology and chemistry courses with associated labs, anatomy and physiology courses, and psychology courses. In addition to writing and humanities courses, the Mines laid the groundwork for a well-rounded education that helped me be successful in nursing school and as a nurse.

What kinds of healthcare experiences did you do to get a better feel for careers in healthcare while you were a student? 
I worked as a certified nurse's assistant (CNA) after my graduation from the Mines so I could decide if healthcare was something I was passionate about. I realized the development of the nurse-patient relationship was a strength I had early on and wanted to explore it further. 

Did you do any research as an undergraduate at SD Mines? 
I wrote a research paper as a requirement for graduation from SDSM&T but as I learn more about the research process, I know it wasn't a great paper! I haven't participated in any research outside of school requirements since then, but even those experiences have been valuable. The biggest take-away has been the development of information literacy, the concept of knowing I need more information and the ability to find a reliable, valid sources to support an evidence-based practice.

What kinds of volunteering did you do during your undergraduate?
I volunteered for the Big Brothers/Big Sisters school program.

In what other ways did you prepare for a career in healthcare?
In addition to my work as a CNA, I have several amazing nurses in my family who answered my questions and offered support in preparation for my schooling and my career. My mom, who has been a nurse for over 40 years, still answers any questions I have about nursing!

How did you balance studying, attending classes, and other student commitments with your personal life while at SD Mines?
The eternal struggle! There was always more studying to do, there was always another work shift available, there was always another get together with my friends. For me, balancing all that meant keeping my end goal in mind and only saying yes to things I really wanted to do. If that meant making time for me to sit and read and be alone, that's what I did. Also, surrounding myself with like-minded individuals helped during my time at the Mines. We had fun when it was time to have fun and we studied (a lot!) when it was time to study. 

What techniques do you use to manage your time and stress levels now as a professional?
As an instructor, I make full use of my planner and my Outlook calendar to keep me on track. Even class prep gets a time slot to ensure I am ready for each class. I am slowly (slowly!) going as paperless as I can so I don't waste precious time or resources printing PowerPoint slides that I will then re-work for next time. I also work to finish one task as completely as possible so I can easily move on to the next item.

When I feel stressed, I try to remember that it’s a normal part of life and I can control my response to it, no matter the circumstances. I prioritize tasks and remember to make time for my family and myself to avoid burnout. I also enjoy going back to hands-on nursing when I have the opportunity. It reminds me of the reasons I love being a nurse.

What advice do you have for pre-health students who are struggling?
In classes, make connections with the work. Figure out how things tie together and "make sense". Once you have a better grasp on the bigger picture, the smaller ideas begin to fit into place. Self-awareness is important too. For example, if you aren’t being as successful in your courses as you would like, take a minute to look at your study habits. Are you studying in a group in which you find yourself unable to get anything done? Perhaps it’s time to reevaluate those habits and try a new approach.

It is easy to feel overwhelmed and have moments of "I can't do this". Find someone who will lend you an ear, a shoulder, any kind of support to help you through this time.  Take advantage of campus resources as well, there are many forms of help available for when you are struggling.


No comments:

Post a Comment