Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Advice from an Alumnus: Meet Janelle Strampe Fried!

SD Mines has a reputation for excellence that reverberates through our students long after they leave campus with their degrees in hand. Today, we are featuring on of our alumni, Janelle Strampe Fried, who earned her B.S. in Chemical Engineering in 2014, then stayed to finish her M.S. in Biomedical Engineering and graduated in 2015. She is currently in medical school at the University of Washington School of Medicine and is taking some time off between her 4th and 5th years of the program and is here in Rapid City. We caught up with Janelle to ask her about her time at SD Mines and how it helped to prepare her for a career in medicine.

Hey, Janelle! Wow, two degrees in engineering! How are you using those skills these days?
[At the moment,] I’m using my mathematical skills to help renovate my in-laws kitchen. I joke that an engineering degree is very good for medical school but very good for life in general, especially during DIY projects. 

What made you decide to take a year off?
I am taking a year off because I decided to start my family and was encouraged by my school’s dean of students to take time off with my daughter before residency started. Also, it’s very difficult to fly all over the country and interview during your third trimester, so logistically it was easier to take a longer maternity leave. 

What kinds of shadowing did you do to get a better feel for medicine before applying to medical school? What did you learn from those experiences? 
I mostly worked with Dr. Clark Duchene at Black Hills Orthopedic & Spine Center. It was wonderful to shadow him in the outpatient clinic and many times in the operating room. [It was] also [great] being exposed to anesthesiology. This was one of my first experiences in the clinical world and I learned how the healthcare team works together to care for the patient. I also learned about several different opportunities in the medical field and was exposed to other healthcare professions like PA, nursing, physical therapy, etc. While every person was important to the team, I was able to determine that becoming a physician was the right path for me and my future goals for my career. 

Did you do any research as an undergraduate? If so, what kind and what did you learn from those experiences? Did you do any research afterward?
I worked with Dr. Sinden through the biomedical engineering department during my undergraduate degree which led to my graduate work in the same lab working on triplet repeat expansion diseases. My thesis work was focused around Friedreich’s Ataxia, specifically. While this experience was very valuable, I decided that clinical work was more of my personality rather than conducting bench research.

What kinds of volunteering did you do during your undergraduate?
During my time in Rapid City, I was involved with several different opportunities, but my favorites were weekly tutoring sessions at the YMCA North Teen Center and being a volleyball coach for Black Hills Juniors Volleyball Club. Also, during my undergraduate, I really enjoyed volunteering with Junior Achievement in Houston one summer when I was doing a summer internship for LyondellBasell.

How did you prepare for the MCAT or other entrance exam?
I worked through an MCAT prep book that I received from an upperclassman who had been accepted to medical school the year prior. I would recommend taking a class to really prepare for the MCAT. Additionally, I would focus on techniques to become the best standardized test taker you can be because once you get into medical school you will take several board exams and if you can learn better study techniques from the beginning, it will be one way to start medical school off right. 

What do you do when you aren’t studying?
Spending time with my husband, Lucas, and daughter, Adeline. I enjoy hiking, fishing, and all activities outdoors. Additionally, I enjoy DIY projects and define myself as an amateur woodworker. 

What techniques do you use to manage your time and stress levels?
As I played volleyball and basketball at School of Mines, exercising and staying active really helped with stress levels and I try to continue this when I can. I took a mindfulness class my second year of medical school, which taught several techniques to help with stress management, including yoga and deep breathing. For time management, I love lists and make lists daily, weekly, and monthly making sure I finish what I need to, when I need to. 

What advice do you have for pre-health students who are struggling?
Always remember what you are passionate about and put all your heart and mind towards it. Don’t assume anything and nothing replaces hard work. Enjoy the journey. As I look back on my collegiate career, an early influence on my success was my thermodynamics professor at School of Mines who told me “Believe that you have what it takes to be great.” To me, this is something that is crucial to be successful in any area of your life and has stuck with me for several years…this idea of simply believing you have what it takes. Believing in yourself. I know you’ve all heard this over and over, but to me it is just that simple. Continue. Lastly, learn to love what you do and then do what you truly love.

No comments:

Post a Comment